UV rays are capable of beginning to kill bacteria in as little as six hours but the process can sometimes take up to two days.
A team of researchers at the Department of Energy’s SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory and Stanford University’s Institute for Materials and Energy Science developed a small device that can expedite this process.
The device works to disinfect water by utilizing UV rays, with additional help from the visible part of the solar spectrum.
In a test, the device which is smaller than a postage stamp and comprised of glass and invisible layers of molybdenum disulfide, was able to kill 99.99 percent of bacteria after 20 minutes of use in 25 milliliters of water.]
How is the device capable of performing this well?
Well, when hit with visible light, the tiny device transforms into a photocatalyst that produces hydrogen peroxide, which is a disinfectant.
While the results are promising, the researchers are quick to point out that it has only been tested with lab-produced E. coli and lactic acid bacteria at this time.
Once it shows it can demolish chemicals or viruses effectively, we’ll be in business.