Shelby SuperCars (SSC), a Washington-based private car company in North America has set a new top speed record for a production car. The car hit an average speed of 316.1 mph on a seven-mile stretch of closed road.
Earlier Bugatti hit 304.77 mph (490.48 km/h). But Bugatti achieved this record only in one direction… making it insufficient for an official record.
The previous record belonged to Koenigsegg Agera RS that hit a record of 277.87 mph (447.19 kph). Koenigsegg outpaced all other previous records over the past decade or so.
The performance of the car was monitored and recorded by a special GPS measurement device and 15 satellites.
Keeping up with all parameters set by the Guinness Book of World Records, SSC shattered all previous records. Because it moved at a lightning speed of 316 mph (approximately 508 kph). The top speed run took place throughout 11.26 km on State Route 160 outside of Las Vegas.
Some features of SSC Tuatara:
- The SSC Tuatara is powered by a twin-turbo 5.9-liter V8 engine.
- Equipped with butterfly doors it produces 1,750 horsepower.
- It has a dry weight of 1,247 kilos.
- Its aerodynamic design was inspired by fighter jets.
- Only 100 units of SSC Tuatara are being made with prices upwards of $1.6 million.wards of $1.6 million.
Image courtesy: SSC